The pwframework is a framework that helps to simplify php development in conjunction with Joomla.
This page describes PWframework version 1.8.x
The PWFramework was originally developed for PHP general usage. When starting develoming Joomla applications I ported it to a Joomla components suitable for version 1.0 and 1.5. The benefit was that I could create a single extension suitable for both the versions without duplicate code. Since Joomla 1.0 is well in the past and since [Alex Jonk|I'm ] such a Joomla enthusiast and hardly used in anywhere else, I ported it to more specific Joomla plugin instead of a component. The fact that its a plugin instead of a component has lots of benefits especially for developers since initialization is no done by the Joomla (plugin)Framework and no longer by the application it self, so less boiler template code.
What can it do?
Well, quit a lot. The framework will help with the following and more:
- Create rich and complex tables containing grouping and totaling and whatever input element.
- Creating paging is a breeze.
- Table filters
- Forms with lots of elements and support the most common features of joomla like the CalendarPick and RichText editor.
- GoogleMaps support.
- Navigation. Java developers will notice some struts like features.
- one of the greatest benefits for me was that porting components build using this framework from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5 took minutes instead of days. Even creating standalone (non-joomla) or other CMS can be very simple since it has its own MVC structure
Is it for me?
Well sure, but like any framework, it works when the documentation is in order. With this framework it is not yet in order. At this point there is not more than some code scripts that might help you get started but other than that you need to get from the code :-(.
Installation is simple. Just install it like any other joomla component. Go to the plugin manager and enable the plugin. There are currently 4 options:
- Load google maps libary will loaded extra libraries to support google maps features.
- Load common library will load a library that contains lots of PHP functions that make live simpler but is not part of the framework really
- Load PHP4 Support, will load a library that contains some functions that do exist in PHP5 but not in PHP4. SimpleXML support and strpos() mainly
Unless specified otherwise leave it as is.